What research reports say on sitting continuously for a long time?
If smoking one cigarette reduces life span by 11 minutes while watching TV for one hour reduces life span by 22 minutes.
Now let us have a look on researchers about the truth behind the problems and risks of sitting long.
- According to Kansas state university sitting more than 6 hours a day decreases the muscle movement and also stops the working of lipoprotein lipase enzyme. The main work of this enzyme is to convert the fats and triglycerides to energy.
- As per American Cancer Society sitting more than 6 hours a day decreases the life span of men by 20% and in women, the risk is high as the life span will be reduced by 40%.
- As per World Health Organisation (WHO) report sitting more time without any body movement leads to breast cancer, digestive tract cancers, diabetes and heart diseases. The report says 21 to 25 % of the breast and gastrointestinal tract cancers complaints, 27% of diabetes claims, and 30% of heart diseases complaints are because of sitting continuously without body movements.
- If you sit more than 2 hours without movement, it disturbs the work of heart.
What will happen if you sit more time?
Risks of sitting long time:
- Decreases the production of enzymes which are useful to reduce the obesity.
- Decreases the utilisation of calorie rate per minute.
- Disturbs the work of heart if person sits continuously for 2 hours every day
- Decreases the good cholesterol level up to 20%
- Increases the heart problems for the people who are already suffering from heart diseases.
- Reduces the insulin level up to 24% and leads to diabetes.
- Increases the backache problems.
- Increases the kidney problems up to 30% in women.
To avoid the risks of sitting too much time, take the following steps:
- Regular exercise, walking or jogging makes your body active, but sitting more than 8 hours a day at work is not okay as it takes away the benefits we receive from exercises. So as per doctors advise get up at least once in an hour from the seat and make your body active then continue the work.
- If you are unable to walk at the office, at least, try to stretch the body frequently while sitting. This stretching helps in reducing the stress and increases the muscle movements.
- Always sit straight to 90 degrees.
- Always try to use steps rather than lift.
- Avoid motorcycles for the shorter distance. Instead, prefer walking or cycling
Image Credits: Image designed by Prasad Copyright @ www.gobyme.com