The increase in Obesity, heart diseases, diabetes, etc. is making people choose low-calorie food. Increase in awareness among people on lifestyle diseases is another reason to stay away from fatty food.
Making cash of this many companies are introducing low calorie processed food and labelling them as ‘Zero fat’ or ‘No fat’ on their products. These low calorie processed foods include a range of items right from potato chips to fast food and soft drinks like Diet Coke
Due to the busy life, most of the urban people are choosing these low calorie processed food for their diet instead of having homemade food. But, are the low calorie processed foods have low calories? Do these types of low calorie food have any nutritional benefits? The answer is clearly ‘No’.
Why should we avoid eating processed foods?
- The fact is that most of the processed foods like bread, buns etc which are used to prepare pizza, burger, sandwiches, hotdogs etc contain high amounts of sugar.
- The idea of processing foods is to kill harmful bacteria and make food safer with longer life, but food processing removes few natural nutrients, vitamins and fiber content in the food.
- The processed foods like potato chips, French fries, Kurkure, pasta, etc. contain artificial sugars, salt and preservatives. They don’t add any nutrition benefits and have less fibre quantity, but slows down digestion and in return helps in weight gain
- Daily consumption of processed food is not a good idea as the salts, phosphates and other artificial ingredients in the processed food leads to kidney and failure other health problems
- Reports also proved that processed foods are highly addictive and make you want them frequently. Frequent consumption of processed foods can lead to obesity.
- Most of the bakery items, cookies, cakes, jams, ketchup, etc. have high fructose corn syrup (HCFS). It is a refined sugar that adds more taste and more calories to food. The food with HCFS is not good for type 2 diabetes patients.
- Most of the processed foods contain artificial preservative agents like Sulfite, which causes a range of health diseases like a headache, skin rashes, irritable bowel syndrome, etc. Sulfite is used in processed dairy products, dried fruits, dried vegetables, processed meat, etc
- Processed food kills natural taste and colour of foods. To improve or restore the natural flavour, most of the processed food makers adds cheap artificial sugar, salts, fats, colours and preservatives to the food. This type of cheap artificial salts, colors etc create various range of health diseases related to gastrointestinal problems, hormonal problems, nervous system problems etc
Diseases caused by eating too much processed foods
Eating too much processed food causes severe health related problems because it contains many artificial preservatives, artificial sweeteners, etc.
Many research reports proved that eating processed foods helps fungus like Candida to grow in the digestive track. Candida is a genus of yeasts and is currently the most frequent cause of fungal infections worldwide.
Some of the common symptoms of Candida include Chronic Fatigue, General malaise, Loss of energy, Decreased libido, Sensitivity to foods, chemicals, or other allergens, Eczema, Psoriasis, Irritable bowel syndrome and Toenail fungus
Processed foods can also lead to gastrointestinal symptoms include thrush, bloating and gas, intestinal cramps, rectal itching, diarrhea, constipation, yeast infections, frequent bladder infections and irritable bladder
Eating too much processed foods can also leads to hormonal problems like menstrual irregularities like pain or bleeding, premenstrual syndrome, thyroid dysfunction etc
Skipping breakfast or lunch or dinner frequently and replacing it with processed foods often can also lead to nervous system problems in few people. The common nervous system problems include depression, irritability and inability to concentrate.